''The peace symbol dates from 1958 and was designed for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament or CND. The emblem combines the semaphore signals for N and D, meaning Nuclear Disarmament. The letter ‘N’ is represented by two flags held in an upside-down V, while ‘D’ has one flag pointed up and the other pointed straight down. Another theory is that the Roman emperor Nero originally devised the image. He ordered Saint Peter to be crucified upside down and the sign really depicts a broken cross. There are also claims that the modern sign for universal peace was actually linked to the devil in the medieval period. However, it is generally accepted that the peace symbol as we know it has its origins in the disarmament movement of the late 1950’s.''